Monday, April 11, 2011

"Libraries - The Heart of Every Community"


Upon retiring to the Cape I found myself somewhat isolated and thought the library might be a good way to connect with the community. Going to the West Dennis Library to donate my collection of children’s books was a decision that changed everything. Immediately, I had a sense of belonging. Everyone was welcoming and encouraged me to return and participate in the various activities offered there. Suddenly I had a new group of friends and a support network right in my own back yard! Besides the anticipated access to books and media, there were movies, programs and special events. I became a volunteer. I was spending a lot of time in MY LIBRARY. By being involved with the library I became an active member of my new community!
This year’s theme for National Library Week is “Libraries- the Heart of Every Community!” I couldn’t agree more.
 
BBD

No comments:

Post a Comment